diy electrical work safety concerns

When Should You Call an Electrician?

Doing household projects yourself is all the rage these days, and in all honesty, it sort of always has been. And it’s easy to understand why: creative freedom, budget-friendliness, and the ability to do it on your own schedule! However, while plenty of electric jobs are DIY-able (we even post about some here), there are sometimes when it’s just better to call in the professionals. But when – or why – should you call an electrician to do the work for you?

1. If you have to get a permit or work with inspectors.

Feel free to paint your walls however you want – only you’ll mind if you miss a spot! But electric work needs to be done correctly, and especially if you plan on selling your property someday, you’ll be dealing with permits and inspectors. The whole frustrating process can be completely done away with simply by having electricians do the work – and you’ll probably end up with an approved permit in no time!

2. Electrical work isn’t always the most fun.

Okay, we think it is! But let’s be real: it’s not as enjoyable as other DIY projects. There’s really not much else to say on this one other than that if you have to do a DIY project, spray-painting something sounds a lot more fun than running a cable through a wall. We’re just saying…

3. Google is great, but there’s still something special about a licensed professional.

You can read all about flying a commercial jet online…but that alone isn’t enough to qualify as a pilot! The reality is that a licensed electrician knows more about electricity than someone who’s not one. Yes, there are super easy electrical projects, but there are also very intimidating ones, and as the saying goes: even if you know 92% of electrical work, it’s the other 8% that can hurt you.

4. Remember: you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg!

Hiring an electrician to do the work will cost you money, that’s a given. But it won’t be your life savings (hopefully!) and you can control your costs. For example, if you already have your circuits mapped out it can save the electricians time, which subtracts from your bill! You can also work with electricians on payment plans or give them the budget you have set for the work.

5. It’s dangerous.

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control, from 1992 to 2002, electrocution was #6 on the list of workplace fatalities. And while that number may be attached to deaths at the workplace, most homes have 200 amps of electricity coming into their service panels…and that’ll kill you! In fact, depending on the conditions, just 15 amps is enough to cause death. You may not want to risk it.